Enrolling in COBRA Coverage
Your right to COBRA Coverage
The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA), entitles you to elect continued coverage under the group health plan, if you will no longer have benefits with Benefit Options because of one of the following qualifying events:
- End of employment;
- Reduction in the hours of employment;
- Death of the employee under whom coverage was received;
- Divorce or legal separation; and/or
- Losing “dependent child” status
COBRA coverage is also available to your spouse and dependent children, if they were covered on your plan the day of the qualifying event.
- To continue family or two-party coverage, if you had family or two-party coverage on the date of the qualifying event
- For one of more qualifying persons to individually elect single coverage
- For all qualifying persons to decline COBRA coverage entirely.
Your COBRA coverage may terminate early if:
- Any required premium is not paid in full and on time;
- If, after electing COBRA continuation coverage, a qualified beneficiary becomes entitled to Medicare benefits (under Part A, Part B, or both); or
- The employer ceases to provide group health coverage for any of its employees.
If you are Electing COBRA Coverage
You have 60 days from the date you received the notice to elect COBRA coverage. You should complete enrollment form A and return it to the Benefit Services Office postmarked no later than 60 days from the date you received the notice. Your COBRA coverage will begin at the full premium amount. Payment must be received within 45 days after the enrollment form has been received. COBRA will begin the day after active coverage ends.
PLEASE NOTE THAT COBRA COVERAGE WILL NOT BEGIN UNTIL PAYMENT IS RECEIVED.
Declining COBRA Coverage
To decline COBRA coverage, return COBRA enrollment Form A with the “I decline COBRA coverage” option marked. COBRA coverage will not be available to you once it is declined. If you fail to return an enrollment form, your right to COBRA coverage will expire after 60 days from the date on the COBRA notification.